Product Development and Food Manufacturin based on Community Identity
Because they suffered from the lack of superior agricultural product management and good food processing and preservation, the agriculturists could not preserve the food for its long life and always being fresh.
Therefore, The Center for Academic Service, Walailak University has developed requirements of the communities aimed at the solution for agricultural product price fall, extending shelf life and adding product value and keeping good quality through consultancy service and technology transfer for SMEs operators, Community Enterprise groups and Career groups in the field of product development by considering the context of the communities.
The bodies of knowledge about product development, food processing, food quality control and assurance and preservation with aquatic animals, fruits and vegetables reflect community identities and outstanding materials in each community in Nakhon Si Thammarat that result from driving action for positive impact and creating social change and community in enhancing the quality of working life. They can lead to product development which is highly standardized and safe for the customer so that the Community Enterprise groups are able to generate additional income, create sustainability of their careers, increase sales and create a highlight for the products.
In addition, branding is an important thing of the development plan that can generate more additional value and build a good image of the product and lay the foundation for packaging development so that it can increase product awareness and interest.
The products which have been developed are as follows:
- The products made of fruits and vegetables such as stink bean, green Kwai Namwa flour, crispy jackfruit and curry paste.
- The products made of local rice, e.g., brown rice cereal, snack bar and senbei.
- The products made of Nile tilapia and croaker, e.g., pickled fish, smoked fish sausage, fish ball, crisp rice and fish floss.
- The products made of swallow’s nest.
All of the products are under the cooperation with internal and external departments. And most importantly, this implementation conforms to “Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in SDG1 (No Poverty), SDG8 (Decent work and Economic Growth), SDG12 (Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns) and SDG17 (Partnerships for the Goals) which are as follows:
Walailak University, Thasala, Nakhon Si Thammarat 80160
- National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT)
- Thailand Science Research and Innovation (TSRI)
- Office of Higher Education Commission
- Award for Outstanding Achievement in Academic Service of the Year 2019 in the topic of “The Development of Brown Rice and Products made of Brown Rice for Premium Market” (Building a career security in Pak Phanang River Bash, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Narumol Matan, Sumethee Songsamoe, Kannattha Chaisriya, Phanit Koomhin, Apsorn Sattayakhom, Tanong Aewsiri and Siriwatchana Kaeophanuek, Walailak University 2021)
- The presentation of “Product Processing with Croaker under the cooperation between Walailak University and Small-Scale Fishery Communities” (Tanong Aewsiri and Krittika Kabploy) in the poster contest of “2nd National Conference of Social Engagement”, Walailak University on 18-19 August 2021.