Walailak University and its plastic reduction policy
Walailak University has the policy to reduce the use of plastic, to stop serving plastic bags with handles and foam for packing food in restaurants shops inside Walailak University in response to the strategic plan of the green university policy in the fifth strategic issue, enhancing the image as a happy green university city, Property Management Center. Therefore, waste management measures have been established in the business areas, such as canteens, Chopradu food centers, and shops within Walailak University, Property Management Center. It has set measures that all shops to refrain from providing plastic bags with handles and foam in food packaging to reduce the amount of waste at the source by using the 3Rs principle, which is Reduce, Reuse and Reject.
Therefore, the university is committed to becoming a sustainable university and recognizes the importance of sustainable plastic reduction. Thus, it provides an action plan for waste management to reduce the amount of waste that must be sent to landfills to a minimum and with awareness of the amount of single-use plastic including bags, bottles, tubes, etc. that are thrown away after just one use. The university has a one-time-used policy to reduce plastic waste as follows:
- Ask the store to stop using plastic bags with handles for free. Except for ready to eat food cooked by a change in the distribution of plastic bags made from 100 percent recycled paper bags or biodegradable plastic bags or
- deactivate merchants from the foam containers and plastic bags with the handle-type break,
- Cafeteria shops have switched from single-used plastic cups to bio-plastic coated paper cups or glass that can be washed and reused. And discounted drinks for those who buy private glass beverage stores,
- Stores to lower the reduced distribution cutlery and single-use disposable plastic tubes to buyers. Unless requested by the purchaser.
- Merchants in the educational area shall strictly comply with this announcement for good health and environment.
GOAL 12: Responsible Consumption and Production
GOAL 7: Affordable and Clean Energy
GOAL 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
GOAL 13: Climate Action
GOAL 15: Life on Land